It’s that time of year again when the Christmas decorations are up and can attract kitty’s attention. It is better to be safe than sorry when decorating for the holidays. Decorations, tinsel, plants and ornaments can potentially harm your cat. The shiny decorations are so appealing to cats.
Below, are a few of the common hazards that could potentially harm your cat.
There is some debate as to what part of the plant is poisonous. The sap that comes out of the plant can be the most harmful. As an alternative, consider using some silk plants instead?
Holly, Mistletoe, Bittersweet and Jerusalem Cherry, on the other hand, are very toxic which will make your cat vomit, have diarrhea, and increase its heart rate.
In addition, some cats are allergic to pine trees and can be harmed if the pine needles are ingested.
Tinsel can be very harmful to your cat as well. The long strands of tinsel can cause your cat to choke or worse, get caught in the intestinal tract and need to be surgically removed by your vet.
Watch ornaments and hooks as well. Candles can be quite festive, but such a danger. Personally, I don’t ever allow candles in my home. It is just better not to even have them around.
Be sure to take these simple precautions so that you and your cat can have a wonderful holiday season together.