Flowers are lovely and chocolates and candy taste so good! Be sure to have your cat avoid popular Easter Lillies as they can cause renal failure in cats. Also, you will want to avoid having your cat eat any chocolate bunnies or other Easter candy this year so that you and your cat can enjoy the day without a trip to the vet.
If kitty does get into something he should not have, please contact your vet immediately as time is of the essence. You can also contact the Animal Control Poison Center at 1-888-426-4435. Charges may apply, but it is well worth it for the safety and health of your cat.
Cat Parents Beware!
It is hard to believe that something so beautiful can be harmful to your cat. But, this plant can be very toxic for your cat.
Photo: Photoholic1. Foter.com. CC-BY-NC-ND
The entire plant is a hazard: stem, leaves, pollen and petals. If left untreated, your cat can have kidney failure and can even die as a result.
Early signs (approximately 2-4 hours after ingestion) of lily toxicity
in your cat include:
- Lack of appetite
Time is of the essence when treating ingestion. Seek emergency veterinary care immediately. If treated early, within 6-8 hours, your cat has a better chance of survival as opposed to 18-24 hours later.
This Easter, perhaps you may want to start a new tradition of Easter Violets or an Easter Cactus!