Beware of the Easter Lily with Your Cat

Cat Parents Beware!

It is hard to believe that something so beautiful can be harmful to your cat.  But, this plant can be very toxic for your cat.

Photo: Photoholic1. Foter.com. CC-BY-NC-ND

The entire plant is a hazard: stem, leaves, pollen and petals.  If left untreated, your cat can have kidney failure and can even die as a result.

Early signs (approximately 2-4 hours after ingestion) of lily toxicity
in your cat include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of appetite

Time is of the essence when treating ingestion. Seek emergency veterinary care immediately. If treated early, within 6-8 hours, your cat has a better chance of survival as opposed to 18-24 hours later.

This Easter, perhaps you may want to start a new tradition of Easter Violets or an Easter Cactus!